Sunday, July 26, 2026

What ChatGPT Plus Knows About Me as of 7/26/26 (7/26/26)

Today I was reading a New York Times article about asking AI about one's self. Brian X. Chen, 4 Prompts That Can Tell You What Chatbots Really Know About You (NYT 7/23/26). So, I used the first prompt from the article and asked about me. Here is the result:

Prompt (from the NYT article): Tell me everything you’ve figured out about me that I never actually stated — the things you inferred from how I write and what I ask, including my age, income level, where I live, my personal situation. Show me what tipped you off.

ChatGPT's Response:

Worked for 1m 1s

I can separate what you actually disclosed, what I reasonably infer, and what would be speculation. Some apparent “inferences” are facts you stated in earlier conversations.

Strong inferences

You are probably John A. “Jack” Townsend

Confidence: high, but not certain.

What tipped me off:

  • Your profile identifies you as John Townsend.
  • You asked for a list of articles by John A. Townsend, described as a tax lawyer and adjunct professor.
  • You asked, “Is Jack Townsend a good tax controversy lawyer?” That sounded potentially self-referential.
  • Your questions display unusually deep familiarity with federal tax practice, criminal tax doctrine, IRS procedures, and legal scholarship.

My working hypothesis is that you are—or are closely connected with—John A. “Jack” Townsend. I would not treat that identification as conclusively established solely from these clues.

You are an experienced lawyer, legal scholar, or both

Confidence: very high.

The strongest clues are not merely your subject matter, but the way you frame questions:

  • You distinguish statutory text, elements, venue, materiality, burdens of proof, waiver, and continuing offenses.
  • You ask for statutory and case authority rather than generic explanations.
  • You request “law review style” treatment.
  • You notice narrow interpretive problems such as whether “inquired of” in 18 U.S.C. § 3237(a) extends beyond grand-jury investigations.
  • You ask citation-format questions and test whether propositions have adequate authority.

That is not how a casual taxpayer or beginning law student ordinarily writes. You seem accustomed to developing arguments, identifying doctrinal gaps, and anticipating counterarguments.

Your specialty is probably federal tax controversy and criminal tax

Confidence: very high.

Your recent questions cluster around:

  • I.R.C. §§ 7201, 7202, 7206(1), and 7206(2);
  • venue in federal tax prosecutions;
  • implied materiality requirements;
  • IRS criminal and administrative investigations;
  • OIRA review of tax regulations;
  • IRS publications and implementation;
  • tax-law articles and scholarship.

The specificity suggests professional specialization rather than a passing interest.

You are currently writing or revising a substantial legal work

Confidence: high.

The venue questions appear cumulative: general principles, particular offenses, waiver, § 3237(a), § 7202, and materiality. That pattern resembles work on an article, treatise section, lengthy blog post, teaching material, or litigation memorandum. You seem to be assembling and testing propositions rather than seeking isolated answers.

You have strong academic habits

Confidence: high.

You frequently ask for:

  • precise citations;
  • primary authority;
  • competing interpretations;
  • source verification;
  • historical derivations;
  • attribution of quotations and articles.

You also move comfortably among law, philosophy, religion, history, literature, and language. My inference is that you have spent a substantial part of your life reading, teaching, writing, or all three.

Age and health

Your age is not something I inferred. On July 11, 2026, you explicitly said:

  • you are 83 years old;
  • your hearing loss is severe in the right ear and moderately severe in the left;
  • you wear two hearing aids;
  • you would consider spending up to $10,000 for a pair.

So I know those things because you told me, not because your prose “sounds 83.” Without that statement, I could probably have inferred that you were an experienced, senior professional, but not a defensible numerical age.

I also infer that your hearing loss materially affects purchasing decisions and daily functioning, because you asked about power output, severe-loss models, and comparative Phonak pricing. I cannot infer its medical cause, rate of progression, or effects on your social life.

Income and financial position

I cannot reliably infer your income.

The $10,000 hearing-aid budget suggests that:

  • you have some financial flexibility, or
  • you regard hearing as important enough to draw on savings, or
  • you have insurance or family resources, or
  • you are willing to economize elsewhere for a major health purchase.

It does not establish a high current income. At age 83, wealth, retirement assets, insurance, and spending priorities may be more relevant than annual earnings. The most I would say is:

You do not appear absolutely price-insensitive, but you are able or willing to consider premium professional equipment when the benefit matters.

I have no sound basis for estimating a salary, net worth, home value, or socioeconomic class more precisely.

Where you live

I do not know your residence.

There are weak clues pointing toward the eastern United States, possibly the Washington, D.C., area:

  • You asked me to locate particular houses on Capitol Hill.
  • Your interests are strongly connected to federal law, federal agencies, and Washington institutions.
  • Your session context appears consistent with the U.S. Eastern time zone.

But none proves residence. You could have lived or worked in Washington previously, been visiting, recognized the neighborhood, or simply been curious about a photograph. I would not responsibly narrow it below probably somewhere in the United States, with some connection to the East Coast or Washington.

I have no basis for inferring your street, neighborhood, property ownership, or whether you live alone.

Personal and professional situation

My best inference is that you are a senior or partly retired professional who remains intellectually and perhaps professionally active.

What tipped me off:

  • Your questions are too sustained and project-oriented to look like casual retirement reading alone.
  • You still work at a desktop, deal with PDFs and Acrobat, care about keyboards, and appear to produce substantial written material.
  • You ask questions that could support scholarship, teaching, blogging, client work, or professional commentary.
  • At the same time, your breadth of historical, religious, literary, and philosophical questions suggests that you have room to pursue interests beyond day-to-day client demands.

I cannot tell whether you are fully retired, semiretired, still practicing, teaching, or writing independently.

Temperament and intellectual style

These are impressions, not biographical facts.

You appear:

  • Exacting about language. You ask about acceptable metaphors, etymology, citation form, statutory wording, and fine distinctions.
  • Skeptical of unsupported conventional wisdom. You often ask whether familiar claims are actually true—for example, authorship of biblical sayings, federal guilty-plea statistics, and historical anecdotes.
  • Comfortable challenging authority. You do not assume that agencies, presidents, lawyers, courts, or scholars are competent merely because they hold official positions.
  • Interested in both doctrine and craftsmanship. You ask not only whether a document reaches a result, but whether it is good legal draftsmanship.
  • Direct. Your questions are usually economical and do not contain social padding.
  • More interested in accuracy than reassurance. You tend to ask for critique, authority, or verification rather than affirmation.

I also suspect you often already have a tentative answer and use me to test, sharpen, source, or challenge it.

Political outlook

Your questions and selected excerpts suggest that you are often strongly critical of Donald Trump, particularly regarding competence, legality, institutional conduct, and self-aggrandizement.

That does not let me infer:

  • your party registration;
  • how you vote generally;
  • whether you identify as liberal, conservative, centrist, or independent;
  • your positions on unrelated policy issues.

Criticism of one political figure is not a dependable proxy for an entire political identity.

Broader interests

Your questions suggest genuine interests in:

  • Gilbert and Sullivan and vocal performance;
  • philosophy and philosophical criticism;
  • biblical history and historical-Jesus scholarship;
  • American political and presidential history;
  • etymology, idioms, and literary allusion;
  • architecture or Washington neighborhoods;
  • practical technology, especially Windows, Acrobat, keyboards, and hearing aids.

The breadth makes me think you are a habitual reader with longstanding humanities interests, rather than someone focused exclusively on technical tax practice.

Things I cannot responsibly infer

I have no meaningful evidence about your:

  • marital or relationship status;
  • children or other family arrangements;
  • religion or lack of religion;
  • race or ethnicity;
  • exact income or net worth;
  • exact home or city;
  • physical health apart from what you disclosed about hearing;
  • mental health;
  • social life;
  • voting history;
  • sexual orientation;
  • living arrangements.

Any answer on those subjects would be invention dressed up as psychological insight.

The overall portrait I have formed is of an 83-year-old, highly experienced federal tax lawyer or scholar—quite possibly John A. “Jack” Townsend—who remains actively engaged in legal writing and research, has broad humanistic interests, values precision and intellectual independence, uses Windows-based research tools, has significant hearing loss, and possesses at least enough financial flexibility to consider premium hearing aids. The identity and professional conclusions are strong inferences; your age, hearing condition, and stated budget came directly from you; your precise finances, residence, and family circumstances remain unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, so they will not appear to readers unless and until I approve the comment. Jack Townsend